The Hero’s Journey is a very satirical, fantasy RPG/Adventure game. It was created in 48 hours for an NHTI game jam.
You can play it on Newgrounds here: The Hero’s Journey on Newgrounds
This game jam was hosted by our college, NHTI. The theme was procedural generation. To satisfy the theme, we have the following:
- The character’s hair, torso, and arm colors are randomly generated.
- The world is procedurally generated.
- Loot drops will be either a sword, a shield, gold, or a diary.
- Swords and shields combine a random prefix and suffix to generate it’s name.
- Swords and shields will bring up your stats by a random amount (within a limit).
- Gold drops gives you a random amount of gold (within a limit).
- Diaries combine a random pre-written beginning section with a random pre-written ending section to form the entries.
Here is what my share of the work was:
- Creation and implementation of sound effects and music. (The Hero’s Journey Original Soundtrack)
- All audio programming.
- Grayscale effect.
- World tile art.
- Character/loot art.
- Meter and stats HUD art.
- Co-writing of diaries.
This game was a blast to make, and I am quite pleased with some of the simple things in it. For example, if the player is standing on a sand/beach tile, an ambient ocean wave sound is heard.
All sound effects were created using as3sfxr.